Friday, February 29, 2008

Friday Five


It's Leap Day!! I wonder what it would be like to have a birthday on Leap day. When does one celebrate their birthday on non-leap years. Just one of those things to keep me up at night while my mind wanders before sleep.

I am playing the RevGalBlogPal Friday five in honor of Leap day.

Tell us about a time you:

1. Leapt before looked.

That would have been my first marriage. For some reason I thought that if I married a man that my lesbian leanings would go away. Boy was I wrong. However because I was young, inexperienced and found a guy who was desperate enough to marry me I succumbed to societal pressure and got married to appear socially acceptable. I have since divorced him and several years later married my partner and she and I are wildly happy together.

2. Leapt to a conclusion
Before I went into the ministry I had thought that if a person had Reverend in front of their name, that they were nice, trustworthy and only have good intentions. Then I had a pastor who was troubled in her ministry and did not convey the above mentioned qualities. Our relationship was quite strained and I eventually left that church because she wouldn't support my call to ministry. I had thought the the issues were all my fault and that I must be a terrible person because a minister was not nice, broke my trust and had ill intent for me. Years after I left I heard that she ended her pastorate at said church because of clergy sexual misconduct. It was then that I finally realized that pastors were human too and not perfect.

3. Took a Leap of Faith
At the risk of sounding hokey, it was when I finally said yes to my call to the ministry. I knew since I was a child that I wanted to be minister but didn't think it was possible because at the time I was a Catholic. I spent years doing other things but found that the church was what really got my engines running. It was while watching the Oprah Show (now admit it...we've all had Epiphanies while watching Oprah) that I finally said, "oh darn, I guess I am going to have go to seminary." I am so glad that I took the leap.

4. Took a literal Leap.
Never never never. I am too chicken to leap off of anything higher than a step.

5. And finally, what might you be faced with leaping in the coming year?
Having a blog is a big leap for me. I am not one to advertise my innermost thoughts to anyone accept my partner. However I really like the blogs I am reading on the RevGalBlogPal webring and want to be a part of this extraordinary community.

7 comments:

DogBlogger said...

Nice play!

Anonymous said...

It doesn't sound one bit hokey... heck my theme song is: come on, come on and do the hokey pokey with me. Oh wait... that might be locomotion... naw... hokey pokey is just fine!

revkjarla said...

I love the parenthetical comment about having epiphanies while watching Oprah. So true, so true, so true! Amen! Fun play, thanks~

Unknown said...

Yes, I've had at least one major Oprah moment, too. Glad you did!

Di said...

I think that whatever brought any of us to be RevGals probably qualifies as #3. I don't think it's hokey at all.

Auntie Knickers said...

I'm glad you leaped into blogging and the RevGalBlogPals!

LutheranChik said...

Good play...welcome to bloggery;-).