As always the Big Event was a marvelous time of rest and re-creation. This trip was especially so because we chose to go on a cruise again. There is a silly commercial on TV that says when you cross the gang plank from land to sea, something changes. Well it was true for me on this cruise. I was able to relax, have fun and....wait for it...wait for it...dance in public.
Our speaker was Nanette Sawyer and her topic was hospitality. I learned so much from her and my fellow clergy women. The ah-ha moment for me was when Nanette spoke about triggers. There are things, situations and people that trigger deep seated emotions in us. Triggers take us by surprise however we have choices in how we react to them. She had us do an meditation where we started visualizing someone we loved, felt the warm happy feelings that this person triggers in us (who knew that triggers are also positive), then we thought about someone neutral, where basically the feelings were baseline, then we thought about someone with whom there is hostility. As we thought about the hostile situation, felt the feelings that this person triggered, Nanette then instructed us to go back to the person whom we love. The clinched jaw, stiff shoulders and panicked breathing went away and was replaced by the lightness of heart I feel as I think about my dear ones. What a revelation!
As I have shared before on this blog, I sometimes struggle when I am in group situations. I get anxious about not fitting in, being ignored and worst of all being rejected by the group. When I was in high school I was part of a group of kids who hung out together, however there was an inner circle and in subtle and not so subtle ways I was told that I was not welcome in that inner circle. For years I carried that pain with me and when I am in a group situation my feelings about my high school days are triggered. Hanging out with the Revgals at BE continues to be a source of healing and affirmation for me. Sure we split off into little groups according to age, interests or just being on the same activities. However, I never felt like there was circle where I was not welcome to join in a conversation, a meal or even an adventure. Hospitality abounded every time I bumped into a Revgal on deck, on the beach or where ever the Holy Spirit placed us. Now, whenever my anxiety is triggered in a group situation, all I will need to do is remember the love I felt from my colleagues and all will be well.
Thank you sisters in ministry. I will carry you in my heart always!!!
Teh Quintessential Bahama Photo

4 comments:
So glad you were with us! It was a very special time. Can't wait for next year.
You dancing in public? Again? :)
Wish I'd been there. Lord willing, see you next year.
sounds wonderful!!!
Awesome! I'm so glad that it was such a life-giving time for you! And that beach......soooooo inviting.
Post a Comment