Monday, July 13, 2009

A RevGal meet up

A fun time was had by all at the Portland Maine RevGal meetup. Mary Beth was visiting Songbird in Maine over the weekend and Songbird invited me to come visit them at her house. Originally she invited me for Monday lunch, however being a pastor in between churches, I did not have a Sunday commitment and I've always wanted to hear Songbird preach. Well I got a twofor on Sunday because not only did I get to hear Songbird preach a wonderful sermon at her new church where she is serving as an interim, I also got to hear MaineCelt preach another lovely sermon at Songbird's other church. Usually when I attend two worship services on one Sunday I get tired, however both these sermons captivated me. As MaineCelt would put it, they definityly have the gifts and graces for ministry.

After worship we went to SongBird's for a yummy brunch and then sat in her living for hours talking about life, ministry and music. It was good to be in the company of friends old and new!

I've decided to change my attitude about my being in-between ministry jobs. I realized through prayer and discernment that God is giving me a much needed break from ministry so that I'll be fresh and optimistic for my new church whatever it will be. I've asked God to help me let go of the pain of my previous pastorate so that I would not let it effect my future ministries. This time of not serving a church is God's way of letting me heal. And now I'm enjoying some of the benefits of not working for a church such as being able to hear my colleagues preach and two day weekends for the first time since I got ordained!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad it was such a good day for you, and thanks for making the drive!

Sue said...

Awesome!! I'm so glad y'all had a meet-up!

Anonymous said...

Sounds like the prayers are working - more healing and self-care ahead...

revkjarla said...

sounds like a most lovely morning...
and praying your prayers for you and with you...
peace of heart to you...

zorra said...

How lovely...soooo envious....

The freedom and flexibility of schedule you have during this time is definitely a gift. Once you are pastoring again you'll remember it wistfully!

Mary Beth said...

It was great to see you. love and peace to you.

DogBlogger said...

Just making some long-neglected blog rounds, and catching this post late. I'm so glad you had this time of enjoyment with fellow RevGals, and the realization that this particular spot in your life is a gift.