I am celebrating. I was brave and I preached a sermon that was more prophetic than I'm used to being. The church that I am serving is open and affirming but they are very shy about it. The community is afraid that if they get too out there about their open and affirming stance that some folk will get angry and leave. I've been patient with it however yesterday I officiated a funeral for a woman who was married to another woman. The sanctuary was filled with many folk who felt uncomfortable being in a church because of their sexual orientation. Many in at the funeral had no idea that our Church is open and affirming. This put a fire under me to preach a sermon this morning that encouraged Smalltown Church to let their little open and affirming light shine. Here it is.
"Whom Shall I Fear"
Genesis 15:1-12, 17-18
Psalm 27
Philippians 3:17-4:1
Luke 13:31-35
In the musical Rent, there is a scene of men and women gathered together in a support group for person’s diagnosed with AIDS. They begin their group with introductions and then they sing a prayer together, “There’s only us, there’s only this, give in to love…or live your life in fear.” Then Gordon, one of the group members interrupts the song saying, “Excuse me, Paul I’m having trouble with this credo, my t-cells are low I regret that news ok.” And the group leader Paul asks him, “But Gordon, how do you feel today.” And Gordon replies, “Ok.” “Is that all?” Paul asks. Gordon then says, “Best I’ve felt all year.” And Paul responds by saying, “Then why choose fear?” “I’m a New Yorker,” says Gordon, “Fear’s my life….Look I find some of what you teach suspect. Because I’m used to relying on intellect but I try to open up to what I don’t know…Because reason says I should’ve have died three years ago.”
Gordon’s story of trying to overcome his fears in spite of the evidence that surrounds him is a common theme amongst many characters of the bible. In the Gospel of Luke we have read many stories of people being justifiably scared out of their wits….
When Zechariah father of John the Baptist encounters an angel in the temple he was terrified and fear overwhelmed him. But the angel says to him “Do not be afraid, your wife will bear you a son...and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit.” Highly suspect because reason says that he and wife are too old to conceive a childe.
When the angel Gabriel came to Mary mother of Jesus with the salutation, “Greetings, favored one! The Lord is with you.” She is much perplexed by his words and pondered what sort of greeting this might be. To which the angel said, “Do not be afraid Mary for now you have found favor with God. And now, you will conceive in your womb and bear a son and you will name him Jesus.” Highly suspect because reason says she is a virgin, how could this happen?
Then on the night that Jesus was born, there were shepherds keeping watch over their flock by night and an Angel stood before them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were terrified. But the angel said to them, “Do not be afraid; for see—I am bringing you good news of great joy for all the people: to you is born this day the city of David a Savior, who is Messiah the Lord.” Highly suspect because reason says that Bethlehem is under Roman Occupation and these dirt poor shepherds are living under the thumb of Roman oppression.
Do not be afraid…for you will bear a son filled with the Holy Spirit.
Do not be afraid…For you have found favor with God.
Do not be afraid…For I am bringing you good news of great joy for all the people.
Do not be afraid…
This morning we hear these words again…This time from God to Abram as God seals God’s covenant with Abram, “Do not be afraid Abram, I am your shield; your reward shall be great.” Abram responds to God’s assurance in the same way that Gordon responded to his groups affirmation. “Oh Lord GOD, what will you give me, for I continue to be childless…you have given me no offspring, and so a slave born in my house is to be my heir.” God tells Abram that it will be his biological children which will receive Abrams inheritance. God takes Abram outside and shows him the sky, he tells Abram that his descendants shall outnumber the stars in the sky. This is quite suspect for Abram, because reasons says that up until now Sarai his wife is barren and now he and his wife are quite old and it would seem biologically impossible for them to conceive and birth a child at this late stage in his life. Abram could give into his disbelief, his fear, but he decides to trust in the promise of God rather than the evidence that surrounds him.
Then we have the gospel reading where the Pharisees warn Jesus, “Get away from here, for Herod wants to kill you.” All the evidence shows certain death for Jesus and Jesus knows it. Yet this does not take Jesus away from the work that he knows he needs to get done. Knowing full well what will happen to him he continued to set his face to Jerusalem. “Go and tell that Fox for me, ‘Listen, I am casting out demons and performing cures today and tomorrow, and on the third day I finish my work. Yet today, tomorrow, and the next day I must be on my way, because it is impossible for a prophet to be killed outside Jerusalem.” Jesus knew that he was a threat to the powers and principalities of his time because how he lived his life and ministry going against the rules of his culture. He openly associated with the oppressed in his culture, the women, the sick, the tax collectors and called them blessed. He made it his mission to turn the domination system upside down by claiming that God is for the oppressed and stands for the oppressed. Jesus did not let fear get in the way of doing the work that God was calling him to do.
It is hard not to get caught up in our fears, both individually and as a faith community. We hear the still small voice of God calling us to go beyond our comfort zone however we respond with a “yeah but…” God calls us to share the good news of God’s love by inviting our friends to come to church with us, “yeah but…I’m afraid I’ll put off my friends if I bring up anything religious.” God calls the church to use it’s gifts and resources towards building the God’s kingdom here on earth, “yeah but…we hardly have enough to keep going ourselves.” God calls us to share with the world our radical ministry of inclusiveness, peace and justice making, “yeah but…if we get too out there, we might upset certain folk who aren’t comfortable with being a ‘just peace’ church or an ‘open and affirming’ church.”
The fears that I have named are legitimate. In a small church such as ours, we depend on everybody to support our ministries both in financial support and talents and when someone leaves the church, the whole body of the church does feel it. However we cannot let our fears get in the way of the ministry that God is calling us to do in the world. We need to set ourselves towards our ministry the same way Jesus set his face towards Jerusalem.
Just outside the doors of our church is a community of folk who are hungering to hear the good news of God’s love and grace given freely as shown to us through the life and ministry of Jesus. There are people who are wanting to join us in becoming God’s hands, feet and voice in bringing God’s justice to the world. There are people who are longing to find a community where they know everyone is welcome regardless of race, sexual orientation, economic means, or even previous religious experience. We have all these things here within Smalltown Church, but does the world outside our doors know this?
Yesterday I officiated a memorial service for a 28 year old woman who died of breast cancer, leaving behind her same gendered partner, her wife of only a year and a half. This sanctuary was filled with many people who have stayed away from church because they’ve been made to feel rejected due to their sexual orientation. For many of these folk, my sermon yesterday was the first time they heard that God’s promises are not conditional, that God’s mercy and love are freely given to us, not because we deserve it but because God created us whole-ly in God’s image just as we are and that God did not make any mistake in how God created us. It was a relief for many who sat here yesterday to hear for the first time that God loved them just as they are.
Yes, it takes great courage to stay true to our calling in a world that is divisive over issues of justice and inclusiveness. But remember Jesus faced the same kind of obstacles in his day knowing that he and his followers would face suffering. However do not let fear keep you from your calling. Stay true to your call: begin your journey with the end in mind just as Jesus did, but let go of the worry about that end, and be brave. Or as Charlotte Russell succinctly sums up the way to learn to do courage: “Show up, Listen. Tell the truth as you see it from your heart. Let go of the outcome.”+
May it be so.
Amen.
+SHELTERING WINGS: 2nd Sunday of Lent Sermon by Dan Stern, Broadview Church, 3/4/07
5 comments:
What a beautiful sermon. Thank you for sharing it here.
Brava, Preacherwoman! This was not you at your piratical best, but at your best as Noble Captain of a good ship, strong and true. This time it's the pirates--those who would rob the Church of its treasures, those who would scoff at the law of Love, who ought to be running up the white flag.
Amen and Amen!!
gave me chills. Wonderful sermon...and so pastoral in your prophetic-ness.
Way to offer God's courage and strength!
Sorry - a bit late reading this: a great balance of the prophetic 'come on, people, let's DO this' and the pastoral 'it's Ok to be afraid'. And well rooted in Scripture - I pray people listened.
Post a Comment